The Network Architect’s role is to develop and maintain the high-level design plan for the overall logical and technical network architecture. This individual will provide technical leadership and consulting across the organization, from strategic decision making down to the project planning level. The Network Architect will gain organizational commitment for all high-level network infrastructure plans, and initiate and participate in projects to evaluate technologies and methods for implementing these plans.
Strategy & Planning
• Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to make certain network capacity meets existing and future requirements.
• Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network resource administration and appropriate use.
• Develop and deploy methodologies for testing network performance and providing network performance statistics and reports.
• Provide architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to Network Analysts, Network Engineers, Network Administrators, and other Network Architects.
• Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of network development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and network flexibility.
• Develop, document, make recommendations, and communicate plans for investing in network technologies, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
• Participate in the development of network strategies in collaboration with the executive team.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of all network procurement and development efforts.
• Ensure network services have sufficient capacity, stability, and agility to satisfy service level agreements with business units.
• Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Plan, acquire, and coordinate installation of in-house and remote network devices and appliances across the organization’s network.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
• Design company LANs, WANs, VMs, virtual networks, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, hubs, switches, UPSs, and other devices.
• Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
• Recommend improvements and/or alternatives on the company’s existing systems architecture and technology portfolio.
• Review new and existing network design projects and procurement or outsourcing plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans.
• Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, decision-makers, stakeholders, department heads, and end
users regarding pertinent network activities.
• Direct and administrate a contingent of network analysts and technicians, and where necessary, conduct performance reviews and corrective action.
• Collaborate with end users and senior management to define business requirements for complex network development and gain buy-in for all network architecture plans.
• Manage and set priorities for the architectural design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all network infrastructures, including LANs, WANs, VMs, Internet, intranet,
security, wireless implementations, and so on.
• Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions.
• 5 years experience managing, developing and delivering strategic network architectural design and operational excellence.
• 5 years experience designing enterprise-wide LANs, WANs, WLANs, VPNs, VMs, virtual networks, etc.
• Excellent knowledge of current protocols and standards.
• Experience with programming languages is desirable.
• Knowledge and understanding of system flow charts, traffic flow, and data processing concepts.
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
• Extensive experience with developing strategic plans.
• Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
• Exceptional understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
• Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
• Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
• Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating needs assessments, budgets, and so on.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
• Four-year university degree or college diploma in the field of computer science and/or 6 years equivalent work experience.