The role of the Enterprise Architect is to enable business and CIOs to make investment decisions that balance and prioritize current operational demands, disruptions, and opportunities with the longer-term strategic vision of the organization. Furthermore the enterprise architect provides technology guidance, road maps, principles, standards, and best practices.
• Provides overall direction, guidance, and definition of IT architecture to effectively support the corporate business strategy.
• Supports all architectural disciplines and champions’ architectural initiatives.
• Reviews existing business processes and establishes metrics to improve business processes, as well as support of all architectural disciplines under their direction.
• Establishes and oversees the architecture team, including the recruitment, development, and maintenance of the architecture staff.
• Leads programs to develop, maintain, and govern the enterprise architecture across the organization.
• Works on highly complex projects that require in-depth knowledge across multiple specialized architecture domains.
• Leads the EA review board and ensures that the solutions are compliant with target-state architecture models.
• Aligns architecture strategy with business goals.
• Defines, explains, and advocates technology strategy.
• Develops and communicates architectural policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures.
• Promotes the EA process, outcomes, and results to the organization and senior leadership.
• Leads and facilitates the creation of governing principles to guide EA decision making.
• Leads the EA governance processes.
• Manages exceptions to architectural standards at an enterprise level.
• Reviews and/or analyzes and develops architectural requirements as needed for the organization.
• Ensures the conceptual completeness of the technical solutions.
• Leads teams in developing technology plans.
• Approves modification of the enterprise architecture to accommodate project needs.
• Provides strategic consultation to business and IT leaders.
• Advises on options, risks, costs versus benefits, system impacts, and technology priorities.
• Works with business leaders to understand business requirements and help them understand how technology tradeoffs influence strategy.
• Consults with project teams to fit projects to enterprise architecture, as well as to identify when it is necessary to modify the enterprise architecture.
• Develops a communication plan for architecture at the enterprise level.
• Directs the research and evaluation of emerging technology, industry, and market trends.
• Ensures recommendations are based on business relevance, appropriate timing, and deployment.
• Approves the tools and components used within the enterprise.
• Works with senior leadership to approve allocation of budget to meet architectural initiatives critical to business/mission success.
• Collaborates with project management and IT leaders to ensure progress towards architectural alignment with project goals and requirements.
• Defines the skills, competencies in the skills, and talents for architecture team members, and works with human resources to acquire staff.
• Responsible for the overall training and development of the architecture team.
• 8 or more years of IT and business/industry work experience including architecture design and deployment, systems lifecycle management, and infrastructure planning and operations.
• Leadership experience in managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
• Requires exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments.
• Knowledge of all components of holistic enterprise architecture, business re-engineering principles and processes, and basic knowledge of financial models and budgeting.
• An MBA would be a plus.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, computer engineering, system analysis, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.