The Data Management Architect role is to design, plan, monitor, and improve the organization’s Data Management functions. The central objective of this role is to ensure that the organization’s Data Management disciplines are running effectively, and meeting the business’s needs regarding data. With the growing push of data and information being used as corporate assets, serving as integral platforms for generating revenue and competitive advantages, a DMA must be able to understand both the technical points of Data Management, as well as the business drivers and needs regarding data. This individual must be able to understand the “bits and the bytes” related to the organization’s Data Management and develop a strategic plan for the technical space considering the business’s perspective and needs.
Strategy & Planning
• Participate in strategic and operational governance processes of the business as a member of the senior management team.
• Lead strategic and operational planning for the organization’s Data Management practices, focusing on meeting business needs and requirements through data functions.
• Identify opportunities for the organization to further leverage data and improve its economic, competitive, and operational positioning.
• Develop and maintain the organizational structure of the organization’s Data Management team.
• Create and manage the organization’s data strategy.
• Establish Data Management goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
• Identify cost savings and process improvement opportunities for the Data Management team and the greater business.
• Understand and manage the IT side of the organization’s data analytics operations.
• Review and monitor the organization’s data related technology procurements and resourcing.
• Develop business justifications and cost: benefit analysis for data related spending and initiatives.
• Understand and monitor the regulatory and security requirements for data related to the industry in which the organization operates; ensuring compliance and proper protection occurs.
• Understand the different business requirements for data (marketing, finance, operations, etc.).
• Lead management reviews and opportunity assessment processes that identify improvement opportunities related to: process efficiency, cost savings, business model expansion, and competitive advantages.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Coordinate and facilitate consultation with stakeholders from the business and other sources to define business and process requirements for new technology.
• Approve, prioritize, and control projects and the project portfolio related to Data Management.
• Review hardware and software acquisitions related to data assets.
• Assess and review the new technology opportunities related to Data Management (e.g. the Cloud), and how these will impact the organization’s Data Management operations.
• Ensure continuous delivery of data services, through oversight of service level agreements and performance targets.
• Oversee the end-to-end management of the organization’s data assets (data lifecycle, information lifecycle).
• Ensure data system operations adhere to regulatory compliance standards.
• Ensure data assets in the organization are managed in a secure manner, adhering to security and privacy requirements.
• Keep current with trends and issues within the Data Management space, adapting and transforming the business’s Data Management process and technologies to support further business growth and
• Establish controls for ensuring efficient and effective data management functions are performed.
• 6 years’ experience managing and/or directing a Data Management operation or team.
• 6 years’ experience working in the Data Management and information Management spaces.
• Extensive experience with corporate Data Governance.
• Experience in strategic planning and initiative designs.
• Experience or knowledge of the data requirements according to the required industry.
• Strong technical knowledge related to the IT space, particularly in the technology assets related to the business’s IT operations.
• Strong understanding of how different departments (marketing, finance, operations, etc.) will have different data uses and requirements.
• Proven experience in Data Management planning, organization and development.
• Strong understanding of project management.
• Knowledge and experience of DAMA DMBOK and the different disciplines of Data Management.
• Excellent interpersonal and management skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Self-motivated and action oriented.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
• Keen attention to detail.
• University degree in the field of computer science or business administration. Master’s degree in one of these fields preferred.